Cases are opened three ways:
- If the family is receiving CalWORKs or MediCal benefits, and a parent is absent from the home or the establishment of legal parentage is necessary, the Department of Human Assistance will automatically refer the case to the child support agency for opening.
- If the family is not receiving CalWORKs benefits, either parent or a legal guardian may ask the child support agency to open a case. Please refer to the “How to Apply for Services” section below for additional information.
- If there is a family in another state that is seeking support from a parent residing in Sacramento County, the other state will initiate a case with the County of Sacramento.
How to Apply for Services
- E-File: We encourage you to use TurboCourt to open a child support case. This FREE online program guides you through a series of necessary questions to open and process a child support case. It fills in the appropriate forms and submits them electronically to our office for case opening. It’s fast and stress free!
- Hardcopy Application (Mail or Online):
- By Mail: While you are highly encouraged to apply online through TurboCourt, if you are unable to do so, you may request an application be mailed to you by calling our office at (866) 901-3212. Once you have completed your application, please mail it back to Sacramento County DCSS, P.O. Box 269112, Sacramento, CA 95826. You may also place your application in the designated document drop box in our lobby. Our office is located at 3701 Power Inn Road, Sacramento, CA 95826 and we are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Online: You can also obtain the “Application for Support Services” (English and Spanish) from the State of California Department of Child Support Services website. Once you have completed your application, print a copy and return all of the forms to our office. Our mailing address is Sacramento County DCSS, P.O. Box 269112, Sacramento, CA 95826. You may also place your application in the designated document drop-box in our lobby. Our office is located at 3701 Power Inn Road, Sacramento, CA 95826 and we are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.